[CentOS-virt] cloud-init in CentOS 6.3 images

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Fri Feb 8 10:14:40 UTC 2013

Hi,

On 01/23/2013 01:30 AM, Brian Lalor wrote:
> Good evening, all.  I just tried spinning up a CentOS instance in EC2 using ami-de5bd2ee from the AWS marketplace.  I put a dummy script into the user-data field when launching the instance from the EC2 console but found it didn't work, even though the SSH key for the root user did.  I pinged Karanbir on ##aws and he suggested I post here to get the conversation started.
>
> I'm currently looking into what it takes to roll my own AMI; I've already invested a fair bit of work into creating packages and Puppet config based on a CentOS 6.3 system (mainly with Vagrant), and my initial test with Amazon's Linux AMI wasn't promising.  I think execution of the user-data script is a must-have, as it's the only way to automate the creation of a new instance without external tools.

Getting ready to roll out another set of updated AWS images. So this is
a good time to have the conversation about cloud-init

Firstly, what is the best version to go with ? I know there is a
maintained cloud-init in EPEL but that seems to be 0.6.x based, whereas
lots of people seem to be focusing on 0.7.x as the best rpm based distro
supported option.

thoughts ?

- Kb

--