[CentOS-virt] Time

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:06:23 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM, Robert Dinse <nanook at eskimo.com> wrote:

>      Friday, I moved our servers to a new co-lo facility and ran into an
> interesting problem with virtual machines.
>
>      I did an orderly shutdown of the CentOS 6.3 host, and it in turn suspends
> all the guests.  It took about an hour and a half to move and fire up the host.

Suspends? Or shuts down? There's a big difference, and I don't think
you'd have seen this problem with  the gu4ests shutdown.

>      The guests, being suspended, were then an hour and a half behind and it
> seems ntpd does not want to correct more than 1000 seconds of error so it would
> not automatically adjust the clocks.

ntpd is sometimes too smart for its own good. However, "rdate -s
time.mit.edu" or other rdate server works very well and doesn't have
the problems with not being able to run "ntpdate" while the ntpd is
running.