[CentOS-virt] virt-manager

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 13:15:47 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Zoltan Frombach <zoltan at frombach.com> wrote:
> I run an Ubuntu VM under windows. Inside that, I use virt-manager to
> manage a remote Linux running KVM + libvirt.
> This way you do not need to have X on the remote box.
>
> Zoltan
>
> On 1/23/2013 10:49 AM, Nux! wrote:
>> On 23.01.2013 05:45, mattias wrote:
>>> are there any windows based software to administer an kvm hhost?
>>> e.g create edit machines
>>> no web based

It can also be run via a local SSH server (such as the one built into
CygWin) by logging in remotely to the KVM server. You *will* need to
be sure that the KVM server has enough X utilities to actually run X
services this way, including tools such as "xorg-x11-xauth" and maybe
the editor or X terminal of your choice. But no, there is not really a
"virt-manager" directly built for Windows.

For general Windows access to X applications on Linux servers, I
really recommend the NX system from www.nomachine.com.  It's highly
optimized, has good resource management for the X sessions, allows you
to reconnect to an interrupted NX session without los of state, the
Windows client is good if you make sure to install all the optional
fonts, there are free software versions of most of it, the security
models are surprisingly good, and it's much more bandwidth efficient
and robust than a plain X application over SSH session.