[CentOS-virt] virt-manager

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 14:07:30 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 23.01.2013 14:15, schrieb Nico Kadel-Garcia:
>> On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Zoltan Frombach <zoltan at frombach.com> wrote:
>>> I run an Ubuntu VM under windows. Inside that, I use virt-manager to
>>> manage a remote Linux running KVM + libvirt.
>>> This way you do not need to have X on the remote box.
>>>
>>> Zoltan

>> It can also be run via a local SSH server (such as the one built into
>> CygWin) by logging in remotely to the KVM server. You *will* need to
>> be sure that the KVM server has enough X utilities to actually run X
>> services this way, including tools such as "xorg-x11-xauth" and maybe
>> the editor or X terminal of your choice. But no, there is not really a
>> "virt-manager" directly built for Windows.
>
> And then?
> Ok rhetorical question, you mean local X server like xming:
> http://www.straightrunning.com/XmingNotes/
>
> SSH client is of your personal choice (putty, ZOC) and this way you can
> avoid Cygwin.

Yes, I meant a local X server. You're quite correct, thank you.

I've used Xming: I wasn't wildly impressed, but I'm a bit harsh on X
applications, and found the bandwidth optimization and ability to
reconnect to lost sessions or to share sessions provided by NX
software and its variants to be invaluable.