[CentOS-virt] proper bridging technoque

Digimer lists at alteeve.ca
Sat Nov 23 03:04:37 UTC 2013

On 22/11/13 19:19, aurfalien wrote:
> OMG!!!
>
> So let me first give an analogy.
>
> Me;
> So I have a flat tire.
>
> You;
> No, its inflated and looks fine.
>
> Me;
> No, I'm tellin ya its flat.
>
> You;
> I just checked tire pressure, all is well.
>
> Me;
> Holy sh$#, the road it jacked up giving e the illusion of a flat!
>
> So I am able to ping my br6 int from another host so I assumed it was up.  But upon examining ip route, I see my def route is my primary interface br0 so it answered back even though I ping br6.
>
> I walk over to the KVM host and eth6 is physically unplugged!
>
> Its in now and all is well.
>
> Dude, so sorry.
>
> Now, to fix it so a ping will result in accuracy.
> - aurf

Been there, done that.

May I make a suggestion? If eth0 and eth1 both connect to the same
network, why not set them up as a mode=1 (active/passive) bond? Then you
can flip between them without interrupting traffic flow (very useful for
network cabling work).

If eth6 also goes to the same place, just faster, then put it in the
bond and make it the primary interface. Should it fail, the traffic will
route through eth0 or eth1. When eth6 comes back up though, the bond
would reselect it and your servers would start transmitting at 10 Gbps
again.

Cheers

--
Digimer