[CentOS-virt] Fwd: About Centos 7 + Virt-manager

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 16 13:16:16 UTC 2014

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> while much of what you say is true
> you somehow could lead unaware users
> to the conclusion that docker and lxc
> are two very different container technologies.
>
> In fact, docker uses lxc for containers.
> So it's more a management abstraction layer
> with an API.
>
> Nevertheless for true and secure containerization
> you'll need openvz atm, sadly it's not in the kernel yet.

Docker dropped LXC with version 0.6 or was it 1.0?  They have their own library that they use now.  Since I can't remember what version they switched, nor what version Red Hat has in RHEL7 (I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader)... perhaps the Docker currently shipping with RHEL7 still uses LXC?!?

The bulk of OpenVZ will never make it into the kernel although the Parallels kernel devs do try to integrate existing kernel features into OpenVZ (so the patch becomes smaller over time) as well as getting bits and pieces into the kernel or into userland (criu for example).

I wonder how much change OpenVZ will undergo in the port to the RHEL7 kernel... where considerable container building blocks are already part of the kernel.

TYL,
--
Scott Dowdle
704 Church Street