[CentOS-virt] Are xen and centos incompatible?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Jun 7 00:44:54 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to pass a physical network interface through to a domU.

This seems to be impossible because the way xen wants to do it is
incompatible with the way centos wants to do it.

I followed documentation on http://www.xen-support.com/?p=151 and tried
booting with 'pciback.permissive pciback.hide=(06:00.0)'.  This gives a
hint in dmesg "kernel: xen-pciback: backend is vpci", and the device is
still visible in dom0.  So this obviously doesn't work.

Following http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Xen_PCI_Passthrough:

[root at heimdall ~]# xl pci-assignable-add 06:00.0
xend is running, which may cause unpredictable results when using
this xl command.  Please shut down xend before continuing.

(This check can be overridden with the -f option.)
[root at heimdall ~]#

There doesn't seem to be any documentation about what xend does or is
for and how to pass a physical network interface through with it.

I'm starting to think that using centos for a server os is an extremely
bad choice because nothing works.  It's not like a Linux distribution
but like a mess of pieces from several unrelated puzzles thrown together
randomly.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.