[CentOS-virt] xen setup documentation for centos?

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Sat Jun 7 12:32:15 UTC 2014

Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> writes:

> On 06/07/2014 03:03 AM, lee wrote:
>> Manuel Wolfshant <wolfy at nobugconsulting.ro> writes:
>> [..]
>> You're right, I overlooked the 'dev'.
>>
>> Why doesn't the error message simply say "syntax error" and perhaps even
>> points out that "dev" might be missing?
> Because the program "ip" is pretty cryptic, despite being way more
> powerful than most people know

The program is too powerful and cryptic to print reasonable error
messages ...

IIRC, I've been reading that route shall be replaced with ip, and I
don't like that idea.  Route is sufficiently confusing and works fine.

>> There is no 'to' in the
>> configuration file anywhere, and saying that "eth0" might be "a garbage"
>> isn't helpful in any way.  This isn't any better than failing silently
>> or just printing "error".
> Each line of the route-eth* file(s) is passed ad-literam to ip route
> commands so all error messages that you see come from ip. Examine
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-routes for details. In your case,
> you should test the content of route-eth* by using:     ip route add
> $EachLineOneByOne

I checked if there is a 'to' in the file when I got that message, and
there was none.

>> I would like to make a bug report about this so that the useless error
>> message may be changed.  But what package should the report refer to?
> You could file a RFE either against iproute which actually triggers the
> messages you've seen or against initscripts (ifup-routes is provided by
> it - you could ask for a better parser ).

Thanks :)  Improving ip so that it can print useful error messages seems
to make more sense than involving a special parser for the particular
purpose of these initscripts.

--
Knowledge is volatile and fluid.  Software is power.