[CentOS-virt] RFC: Use git am for patchqueue

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue May 20 08:42:46 UTC 2014

On 05/15/2014 07:05 PM, George Dunlap wrote:
> OK, I've got a basic initial port of the xen package up to 4.4.0.  But
> before I post that, I wanted to get comments on a new method of
> managing the Xen part of the patchqueue.  You can find the RFC branch
> here:
>
> repo: http://github.com/gwd/sig-virt-xen
> branch: out/git-am-patchqueue-RFC-v1
>
> The basic idea is to put as much as possible into a 'git am' file.
> This file can easily be imported into git on top of a Xen git
> repository with "git am [filename]", rebased / edited like any branch,
> and the exported again with "git format-patch -N --stdout
> [release-tag]".
>
> I've got a copy of the Xen repo with the patchqueue applied as a branch here:
>
> repo: http://github.com/gwd/xen
> branch: centos/pq/4.2.4-v1
>
> Unfortunately this only works for patches to things in the core Xen
> repo; patches to qemu, or the out-of-tree blktap will need to be
> managed separately still.  However, at the moment those patches are
> kind of small.
>
> Having the patchqueue in this format made rebasing to 4.4 a *lot* easier.

assume that we have a git repo per package, then the deps ( like qemu
?pxe etc ) could also use the same process ?

Also, would it make sense to consolidate this queue under the
github.com/CentOS/<package> repo ?

I'm also thinking that we might need a process like this for pretty much
everyone else - there isnt a precidence for the SIG's in this regard as
yet ( and anecdotally, we use a more manual version of exactly the same
process for handling branding/blacklists in the centos distro rpms queue
as well ).

- KB

--
Karanbir Singh