[Centos] Segmentation Fault when using dig, nslookup, host...

Lance Davis lance at uklinux.net
Wed Apr 28 08:19:30 UTC 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Tom DE BLENDE (GCC) wrote:

> Lance Davis wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 28 Apr 2004, Tom DE BLENDE (GCC) wrote:
> >

> >>I have setup Centos-3.1 on a Dell Optiplex GX1 this week. It has to
> >>replace an old Compaq Deskpro I used as a firewall/router running the no
> >>longer supported RedHat 7.1. I have the NAT firewall up and running, and
> >>it works OK.
> >>
> >>However, there is one thing bugging me. I cannot use any client software
> >>that queries a nameserver. I tried to use "dig", "host" and "nslookup",
> >>and they all segfault on me. As all these applications suffer from the
> >>same problem, I think it has to be a general problem. Name resolution
> >>itself works correct, and other than this I cannot find any real
> >>indications of problems.
> >>
> >>On the console I get this message:
> >>"request_module[net-pf-10]: fork failed errno 1"
> >>

> >Is this with the standard CentOS kernel ???
> >
> >Because it looks suspicously like the symptom of a non-nptl kernel being
> >used ...
> >

> No, it is not. It's a 2.4.26... Sorry I forgot to mention that.

Well it wont work then.

CentOS - like rhel - uses nptl based glibc, so the kernel needs to also
support it.

A Fedora kernel with nptl might be made to work - alternatively 2.6 is the
way to go.

Is there any particular reason not to use the stock kernel ???

Regards
Lance

--
uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.