[Centos] Low end systems

John Newbigin

jn at it.swin.edu.au
Wed Dec 1 00:13:37 UTC 2004

> Does anybody have a better picture of what this 'line' is? I.E. Intel
> 200, 300, 350? AMD 300, 450? Would this be Pentium vs. Pentium II?
> Perhaps the K6-2 series on the AMD side?
I have not done too much testing with CentOS-3 but for CentOS-2, the
official line is i686 or better.  i686 Is anything from Pentium Pro and
up (PII, PIII, P4)

It will not install on other CPU's but that does not necessarily mean it
will not run.  I build i386 rpms for glibc, openssl, kernel etc so I
have successfully installed on a P4 and then put the disk into an AMD K6
(which is equiv. to i586).  Newer AMD is prob. OK because they are i686
compatible.

You probably won't be able to do SMP on anything but i686.

I would assume that CentOS-3 is more or less the same.

It is possible to remove the strict requirements in anaconda so you can
install onto old hardware but it would require testing to make sure that
the correct kernel and rpms are selected.  Because they only target i686
they might have takes shortcuts and ignored older archs.

Perhaps if someone was keen they could do that for CentOS 3.4 but that
is diverging from the CentOS idea of removing only the trademarks.

John.