[Centos] need help with wu-ftpd

Rick Graves gravesricharde at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 2 22:06:25 UTC 2004

Tony,

It is OK to choose a different package, if you want to
put in the time and effort.  It depends on your needs.
 If you only need an ftp server with the MINIMUM of
time and effort, one can cut out the step of
evaluating alternatives by going with RedHat's
recommendation.  It worked for me -- my ftp server is
working with no problems of which I am aware.

If there is some serious problem with vsftp, perhaps
RedHat chose it based on dark motives.  If this is so,
all the sites hosting vsftp servers are going to
suffer as a result, and we should all be evaluating
other distributions right now to switch at the
earliest opportunity.

However, I doubt this is the case.  If it is the case,
I want to know about it -- please tell me more.

Also, recall that Fernando wrote:

> Hi! I'm kind new to linux, I just got my server with
CentOS 3.1 installed.

Compare with something you wrote:

> Example: removing ncftp and replacing it with lftp
> -- why remove the tool everyone prefers to use, and
> has used for years?

Fernando has not used any of the tools for years, so
he must put the effort into learning something new for
him.  For Fernando, there is no advantage to sticking
with a legacy tool, as he must expend the effort no
matter which tool he selects.

IMHO.

Rick