[Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4

Max Beerli maxbeerli at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 14 17:57:22 UTC 2004

>From: Andy Masiar <amasiar at gmail.com>
>To: Max Beerli <maxbeerli at hotmail.com>
>CC: centos at caosity.org
>Subject: Re: [Centos] Issues/thoughts re CentOS-4
>Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:45:17 -0500
>
> > >* Mission: To stay as close to RedHat as possible
> > >Issues: some things need to be modified to support this.  For example
>the
> > >cpu/memory restrictions will be removed(like in CentOS-3).
> >
> > Could you please share more information about this? What cpu/memory
> > restrictions are in Centos 3 which are not present in RHEL3 ? This is
>what I
> > am trying to discover which RHEL version like AS, ES or WS is Centos
>based
> > on. I was under impression after reading Centros website documents that
> > Centos is designed to be an almost 100% RHEL clone minus the copyrighted
> > Redhat logos.
>
>It's the other way around. RHEL has restrictions on amount of memory
>and number of cpu's. Check
>http://www.redhat.com/software/rhel/comparison/

But this is why I am asking which RHEL branch CEntos follows mainly because
I had gone through Redhat comparison documentation. Is Centos 3.3 based on
RHEL AS which has higher limits or RHEL ES which has lower ones. Is it
possible to base it to RHEL AS? Is the SRPMS for RHEL built on a RHEL AS
build computer to generate CEntos RPMS?

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented Microsoft® SmartScreen
Technology
first two months FREE*.