[Centos] Re: centos] CentOS Remote Installation ?

Andrew Sawyers andrew at zope.com
Wed Dec 15 16:38:52 UTC 2004

Matt Shields wrote:
> I you have someone that can pop in a CD and type a couple words at the
> prompt, you could do remote install via VNC.  I've done this before.
> Check out https://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-3-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/ap-bootopts.html
> Basically you type 'linux vnc' at the boot prompt.
>
> Another option is to built your own CD/DVD with a built in kickstart
> file which has all the options you want, then in the boot options you
> specify it use the kickstart file.  I'm trying to built one of these
> right now for remote installs at work.  We have 80 nodes(w/ 4 servers)
> at 80 different datacenters around the world.

You can also use SystemImager - we use this for building out large
numbers of servers:  http://www.systemimager.org/

I'd bet the easiest for a single host if to just use yum and do
incremental release updates until you get yourself to Centos 3.3

Andrew

--
Zope Managed Hosting
Systems Administrator/Software Engineer