[Centos] Diff files to be made publicly available.

Joe Klemmer klemmerj at webtrek.com
Fri Jul 16 15:02:47 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-15 at 05:05, Bart Schaefer wrote:

> Copyright is not license.
>
> Materials can be *licensed* under the GPL, and therefore freely copied,
> even when copyrighted.  In fact, the entire basis of the GPL, as I
> understand it (IANAL etc. etc.) is copyright law -- someone has to hold a
> copyright on the material in order to have legal grounds for applying the
> GPL.  If no one holds a copyright, then the material is in the public
> domain and the GPL is neither necessary nor applicable.

	Jumping in late on this but you are correct.  The GPL strongly relies
on existing copyright law.  The reason there's some confusion is that
most people just automatically assign the copyright to the FSF or put
nothing at all in for copyright.  In the later case I _believe_ that the
copyright falls to the author automatically.  However, IANAL either.

--
Joe Klemmer <klemmerj at webtrek.com>
Unix System/Network Administrator & Ad Hoc Programmer