[Centos] Re: centos] Upgrade install using CentOS-3.1 ISO images

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Wed Jun 2 01:58:42 UTC 2004

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004, Johnny Hughes wrote:

> > > Serial-ATA disk (which I was not expecting when I ordered it).  I set the
> > > BIOS for legacy IDE mode and installed RedHat 9, then attempted to upgrade
> > > the kernel to add SATA support, without much luck.

RHL 9 was really too early for wide sata support; the first
time I could run it reliability was the taroon beta -- and
even then, the drive I had crashed and burned after a week  ;(

> > Blah, blah, blah...
> >
> > > Any remarks about upgrading from even older RedHat releases?

I have documented using yum to move from as far back as RHL
7.3 to centos-31 current -- my other laptop did exactly this.
I have moved from caos-1 to centos-31 also without major issue
using yum

   http://www.owlriver.com/projects/yum/

> There is a Centos-3.1 release that has the new drivers from RHEL update
> 1 built in .... I don't think the update 2 iso is ready yet ... (I don't
> see it on any of the mirrors)...but it should be pretty soon.

The project lead has the updates in place -- respinning the
ISOs will happen in the next couple weeks, but as it is a
slipstream update, there is not really a tremendous rush

-- Russ Herrold