[Centos] Upgrade from RH-9 to CentOS-3.1, any issues?

Mike addymin at pacbell.net
Wed Jun 9 17:38:21 UTC 2004

Mike wrote:
> Beau Henderson wrote:
>
>> I've successfully upgraded rh9 to CentOS 3.1 using yum. I've also put
>> together a how-to and there is also input from others that have
>> followed my instructions.
>>
>> http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=276534
>>
>> http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24675 ( might
>> require registration on forum to view )
>

> Beau,
>
> Thanks for the how-to!!!  I've got a RH-9 box that I can try this
> procedure on latter today.
>
> I'll keep you all posted.
>
> Michael Chinn

Greetings:

Success!!!  I backed up the data on one of the RH-9 file/print servers
and followed your how-to for upgrading RH-9 to CentOS-3.1 via yum.

The upgrade worked without a hitch. The kernel updated properly as well
as mysql, apache+php4, and samba.  All fileshares and printers work
properly.

Woooot!!!

I can't tell you how grateful I am that you posted (and figured out)
this how-to.  I was faced with the prospect of going through a fresh
install of CentOS-3.1 or FreeBSD-4.10.

So now I get to have a beer (after work) and stare at the ceiling for a
while...

Thanks Beau.

Regards,
Michael Chinn

>> I have yet to try this on production, yet, others have and have had
>> great success :) Let us know how it goes for you!
>>
>> Beau Henderson
>> http://www.iminteractive.net
>>
>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 14:11:17 -0700, Mike <addymin at pacbell.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings,
>>>
>>> I've got 4 Redhat-9 servers in a production environment and I don't feel
>>> like moving to RHEL.  So I'm testing CentOS-3.1 now.  So far so good.
>>>
>>> I'd like to get these servers moved over in the next month or so to a
>>> better "supported" OS.
>>>
>>> Are there any issues I should be aware of in upgrades these RH-9 boxes?
>>>
>>> Should I be able to just stick in the Centos-3.1 CDROM and choose
>>> upgrade?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Michael