[Centos] Samba + CUPS error

Kelvin Param

kelvin.param at coherentresearch.com
Tue May 11 13:48:14 UTC 2004

Hello.

I've been trying to set CentOS 3.1 as a print server for PC running NT4
using Samba + CUPS. I've successfully done this with Fedora Core 1 but have
encountered the following error after running cupsaddsmb in CentOS 3.1:
WERR_INVALID_PRINTER_NAME.

This error also occurs with FC1, but is solved by restarting the smb service
i.e. service smb restart. Run cupsaddsmb again after restarting smb and,
cupsaddsmb will succeed.

However, restarting the smb service does not solve the problem with CentOS
3.1.

Here's the relevant excerpt of my /etc/samba/smb.conf file (which works in
FC1):

[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
  workgroup = SOMEGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
  server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.0. 127.

# if you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
  printcap name = cups
  load printers = yes

# It should not be necessary to spell out the print system type unless
# yours is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
   printing = cups

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
  comment = All Printers
  path = /var/spool/samba
  browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
  guest ok = yes
  writable = no
  printable = yes
  printer admin = root

[print$]
  comment = Print Drivers
  path = /etc/samba/drivers
  browseable = yes
  guest ok = no
  read only = yes
  write list = root

I'd appreciate a solution, tips, pointers, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Kelvin Param