[Centos] New CentOS contrib packages and 3rd party repos

Lance Davis

lance at uklinux.net
Thu May 13 22:45:59 UTC 2004

A number of new packages are now in the contrib repository including
cluster manager, courier-imap, maildrop and piranha - amongst others -
thanks to bilbo for these. (we are still waiting for some of the
src.rpms)

There are also kernels for i586 in the contrib section.

contrib packages are supplied by third parties, not (necessarily) tested
by CentOS developers and not GPG signed by Centos.

contrib is available at http://mirror.centos.org/3.1/contrib  and should
be on all mirrors.

There is also a 3rd party yum repository for CentOS-3 at
http://people.best-off.org/~rhel-devel/centos-3/ with lots of perl nodules
amongst other stuff.

The link above provides details of how to configure yum.conf to use the
repo.

Dag Wieers also provides a repository of rpms for Rhel3 that will (mostly)
work with CentOS - http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/ If you do come across
any there that dont work properly then please let either Dag or us know.

You can add Dag's repository to your yum.conf by adding :-

[dag]
name=Dag RPM Repository for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
baseurl=http://apt.sw.be/redhat/el3/en/$basearch/dag

We welcome 3rd party repositories as being a good way of finding
additional software for CentOS, however the CentOS developers do not test
the packages and cannot provide support for them.

We will list 3rd party repositories on the CentOS website and also mirror
them where practical/legal .

Lance
--
uklinux.net - The ISP of choice for the discerning Linux user.