[Centos] Promise raid cards - software raid

Terrence Martin tmartin at physics.ucsd.edu
Thu Nov 4 20:38:48 UTC 2004

dan1 wrote:

> Hello, Terrence.
>
> Thank you for this sharing.
> It is very sad that these cards don't provide cache flush in case of
> power failure, because it's the main difference I thought between
> software raid and hardware raid.
> Some people told me that software raid was dangerous because of that
> fact (no battery when power fails), and hardware raid would solve this
> problem. In this case, to me there is no main advantage to use
> hardware raid.

I think that you were not given enough granularity in what is hardware,
and what is software RAID.

RAID is nothing more than a technique to duplicate data, or generate
parity from data so that in the event of a single spindle failure
availability is not interupted and data is preserved at the cost of lost
redundancy. The most common ways to do raid is OS software RAID,
Software RAID using a combination of drivers and firmware (promise
cards), Hardware raid controllers with the parity chips on them (3ware),
or full on Hardware RAID devices that include a custom OS, controllers
and a disk chassis. Both hardware raid controllers and hardware raid
devices can come with batter backups. Whether you need them or not, or
if they offer anything to you depends on your environment.

Software RAID does not really offer any more or less security than
hardware in this respect unless you are talking about dedicated RAID
devices like an Infortrend  fiberchannel attached RAID array or apples
XServeRAID. These devices can come with memory often 128MB to 1GB with
batteries that last for several days. However these devices still will
be stymied by the fact that ATA drives have a write back cache. If the
disk itself can cache data there is no guarantee that the data is
written to disk, and no battery on the hardware raid controller is going
to help.

However a decent UPS on the whole system with a sync command followed by
a proper OS shutdown will give you the best chance of not loosing any data.

> Then, I am quite interested be anyone having any experience with
> software raid power failures with ext3. Does the filesystem crash
> often ? And is it severe ?

I am not sure what you mean about the file system crashing? The file
system itself does not crash, if the system shutsdown without a proper
unmount there may be data loss wth any system. Even a batter backup on
the raid array does not guarantee anything. All it says is that the data
that the controller got is safe, but the program that generated that
data may be gone and that itself can cause data corruption. For example
a complex insert that is only 50% done. No disk battery is going to help
that. A UPS will though.

I do not recommend ext3 for anything over about 120GB. The delete time
alone with ext3 vs XFS shows XFS is better designed for larger amounts
of data, but XFS has many more features that make it superior. Not the
least of which is that you can tune the FS to fit your hardware. However
I have recovered disks for all of the journaled file systems with no
problems that I recall. The important thing is to have a journaled file
system. Basically a journal just tells the OS what files are fully
written and which ones are suspect. The suspect ones are deleted. They
do not protect data but make ensuring file system integrity a lot more
efficient as anyone who has sat through a 1TB system trying to run an
FSCK on the file system can attest.

My biggest question is why at this point are you even bothering with
PATA drives? Compared to SATA drives they are unreliable and poor
performing for about the same cost.

SATA is a significant step forward (if the drive is native SATA like
seagates) over PATA and implement many of SCSI features for performance
and longevity.

Of course you have to make sure your SATA drives are SATA and not PATA
in SATA clothing. Avoid Western Digital, Some Maxtor , and some Hitachi
drives. Seagate is a guarantee of native SATA. You also have to make
sure your controller supports the features. I believe the 3ware 9000
series does. The 8000 series is emulated SATA I believe.

Terrence