[Centos] mysql4

Bart Schaefer schaefer+centos at zanshin.com
Thu Nov 18 14:46:54 UTC 2004

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, Jerry Bauer wrote:

> Mysql.com has mysql4 rpm's.
> You can install these, but you will have to recompile to following
> rpm's from the original redhat/centos source rpm to work with mysql4

Actually mysql 3 clients should work fine with mysql 4 servers.  So if you
rpm -i --replacefiles (rather than rpm -U) the mysql4 rpms, thus leaving
both sets of the libraries intact, you may be able to run the new server
without rebuilding any of the other packages.

However, I haven't tried that myself, and rebuilding the packages is
preferable.