[Centos] another yum question

dan1 dan1 at edenpics.com
Fri Oct 15 23:24:17 UTC 2004

Thank you all for your comments and answers.

So if I understand correctly, centos-yumconf is a package that allows us to
always have an updated version of CentOS ? Let's say that there is a new U4
update coming or a CentOS 4 version, this yumconf package would update our
system to the latest version available, is that correct ?

Else, I didn't really understand the goal of the centos-yumconf package, if
anybody could tell me that would be nice. I have read that it helps you to
keep up to date, but if it overwrites the old yum.conf then we also loose
our specific mirror settings. Or does it look into the yum.conf and change
the necessary lines to reflect the new versions ? Also, I thought that this
was the job of the $releasever variable and that we wouldn't have to change
yum.conf afterwards.. I'm obviously a bit confused..

Thanks for any help on that.

Daniel