[Centos] Re: VSFTPD / Apache (Beth Curotto)

Rick Graves

gravesricharde at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 21 13:01:13 UTC 2004

Beth,

I can get to http://66.196.225.55/, but if I try going
to the mail subdirectory I get:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /mail/ on this
server.

This seems to be a web server, but your question says
vsftpd.

I recently set up an ftp server using vsftpd.  I found
that for a directory to be accessible to anyone,
permissions must be set so that the directory is
executable by anyone -- you get into a directory by
"executing" it.  So to make a sub directory
accessible, permissions must be set in the parent
directory for the sub directory is executable.  Go to

/var/www/html

and check the permissions on the mail sub directory.
The command chmod +x mail might do it (or you may have
to do chmod o+x mail, and chmod u+x mail plus chmod
g+x mail, while chmod ugo+x mail might also work).

This might help.

Rick