[Centos] adduser ?

Ulrik S. Kofod

usk at cybersite.dk
Tue Oct 26 07:43:15 UTC 2004

I installed CentOS 3.3 some time ago and the first thing I did after the install was
to run a little script that adds my user plus a few other things.

The script adds my user like this

USER="ulrik"
PASSWD="<mypasswd>"
/usr/sbin/adduser $USER -p $PASSWD

It seemed to work fine except I couldn't login? I searched Google for reasons why I
could only login via ssh as root and was about to send a long mail to this list,
when I decided to change the password and try to login again, and this time it
worked?

Doesn't the -p option work on adduser anymore? It did on my redhat9 where I used the
same script and the -p option is still on the man page for adduser.

I noticed that the same option for smbpasswd had been removed but adduser didn't
complain.

Just curious why :)
Ulrik

dangerous content by OpenProtect(http://www.openprotect.com), and is