[Centos] RE: Release of centos-3.3 ISP bill

Rick Graves

gravesricharde at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 27 12:47:40 UTC 2004

Greg,

Maybe a glitch in CentOS or YUM made the bill higher
than it needed to be.

I recently moved two systems from CentOS 3.1 to 3.3.
On both machines, I started with yum.conf files
pointed at my own mirror.  On both machines, all I did
was "yum update", but my yum.conf was renamed, and I
got new yum.conf files pointed at mirror.centos.org.

I was watching this carefully only because I migrating
these two systems in part to test my own mirrors.  If
not for that, I might not have noticed the switch.
(And because I am testing my own mirrors, I got rid of
the new yum.conf files and put my own back
immediately.)

Maybe lots of other sites got switched to
mirror.centos.org and they have not even noticed.  Or
they assumed the upgrade switched them because cAos
wants them to update off mirror.centos.org, so they
left the new yum.conf as is.

This could be the main cause of the big bill.

Rick