[Centos] should cAos block access to mirror.caosity.org?

Sat Oct 30 12:13:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 21:46 -0700, Rick Graves wrote:
> Hey,
>
> Greg suggested that I take a straw poll.
>
> Should cAos take steps to prevent getting stuck with a
> big ISP bill in the future?
>
> For example, should cAos:
>
> a) for new installs, have the yum.conf point to public
> mirrors, rather than to mirror.caosity.org?

I think that the yum.conf should not point directly to
mirror.caosity.org for new installs.

> b) make sure that "yum update" does not substitute a
> new yum.conf file that points only to
> mirror.caosity.org?

I don't think you should change yum.conf on old installs.  But the owner
will have to change, if mirror.caosity.org stops working.

> c) allow public mirrors to access mirror.caosity.org
> directly, but block direct access by everyone else?

I would block all traffic to mirror.caosity.org except for authorized
rsync mirrors.

Prior to doing this, obviously you would want to have an FAQ up on the
website that explains exactly how to change old yum.conf files and
example yum.conf entries for all mirrors and all sections.

> On the other hand, do the benefits of allowing direct
> access to mirror.caosity.org by everyone outweigh the
> costs of occasionally big ISP bills?

I'm not sure what the benefits are ... out of courtesy, I have changed
all my yum.conf's to point to mirror.  I think one problem is, a new
update comes out and everyone wants to sync it now ... not waiting for
the mirrors to update.

I don't want the developer's to have to foot a huge bill to provide
CentOS.

I would be glad to become a permanent seed for a CentOS bittorrent...I
only have about 20kbs to give.