[Centos] Apt repositories for CentOS?

seth vidal skvidal at phy.duke.edu
Thu Sep 9 04:25:25 UTC 2004

> I did not know about this.  Wow.  Thanks for the info.  Actually, in
> retrospect, this explains to some degree why apt for rpm and apt for deb
> produce differing outputs.  I've noticed that apt for rpm keeps its info
> in a less clean manner than the original apt does.

Well the trick is apt on suse x86_64 works ok for their implementation
of multilib - b/c suse tags the 32bit and 64bit packages differently.

> Actually, I mostly like being able to grab and build source rpms.  It's
> something that up2date can (supposedly) do, but yum does not have the
> functionality yet.  I guess I could just write a patch and send it into
> the guys at Duke, but it feels weird to try to add functionality to one
> software package when another exists that does everything I want.

NB: I'm the 'guys at Duke' :)

> They've stated that no one seems to be interested in source functionality:
> https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/yum/2004-June/004526.html

I don't have a problem with it - it's just not something immediately on
my radar. However, if you'd like to work on something like that - I can
point you in the right direction for it. It's actually easier to do now
than it was a few months ago.

> Woohoo!!!  Anything I can do to help?  Actually, now that I think about
> it, my earlier post indicates my CentOS box isn't fully functional right
> now, but it's got one good drive in the mirror set working.  Need some
> packages built?

Could you make my day job a little less demanding? That'd make things
happen, for me, faster. :)

-sv