[Centos] Web & Mail

Christopher Blume godsmoke at godsmoke.com
Wed Sep 22 20:52:08 UTC 2004

Hello Beth,

First of all, no, the hostname will not affect the computer's ability to
be a web server.  If you want to host websites from this computer,
you'll likely be using the Apache web server -- there is a package in
CentOS for apache, and more information on it can be found on Apache's
website: http://httpd.apache.org/

I'm not sure what you meant that you had to "load" the html document
"from cd directly" -- if you could explain, it would help me answer your
question.

No, you do not need to set up an ftp server on this computer to transfer
files to it -- although it is a common method.  There are other
applications, like scp that allow you to transfer files, with enhanced
security -- although an ftp server may better meet your needs.

Yes, the fact that this computer is NATed is important.  If you expect
to access the mail/web/ftp servers hosted on this machine from outside
of the NAT network, you will need to forward the needed ports through
your firewall/router (that handles the NAT).

-Chris