[CentOS] postfix tightening

Ryan ryanag at zoominternet.net
Sat Apr 2 05:11:03 UTC 2005

>My point is that relying on this only makes you more likely to drop
>legit mail and poses no problem to the spammers.

I don't disagree with your points that:
1. It is a bad solution to rely soley upon.
2. If a spammer chooses to, it is fairly easy to bypass (although your example
of buying a domain name poses some risk to a guy using trojaned boxes to send
mail).
3. If everyone did reverse DNS checks there would still be spam.

I think of it like this....

At home I block ads using the hosts file. Have been doing it since forever. I
use the hosts file below + my own additions):
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.txt

If ad banner farms would not push obvious names, and instead use extensions of
the legitimate sites ( www.realfoosite.com/sleazeballad ), my way of blocking
them fails. On top of that, I also accidentally block some legitimate sites
once in awhile.

All that being said, I don't get pop-ups, pop-unders, or ads, and this
easy-to-defeat method of blocking ads works very well, so long as I am
willing to accept that I am occasionally blocking some things I wish I
hadn't. ;-)