[CentOS] system management - what do you use to manage your CentOS systems?

Enoch West enochwest at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 05:09:39 UTC 2005

On Apr 2, 2005 5:35 PM, Paul <subsolar at subsolar.org> wrote:
-- snip snip -- tuck tuck -

> Lee,
> There is a project that was started back in the RH 7.3 days to reproduce
> an open source version of the server side of the RHN.  This project made
> it to the point where it would allow clients to register and pull
> updates from it and that is pretty much where it stuck.  A new
> maintainer has taken over the project and there is plans to implement
> client status tracking, and client management.
>
> You can check it out at http://current.tigris.org/ and help out if you
> want.
>
> I used to use it to maintain a hand full of servers and a couple
> desktops until RH dropped support for their Retail versions.
>
> Regards,
> Paul Berger

Thanks to all who have replied so far.

I am currently utilizing yum for package management and updates from
my own local repository, and.. so far it has worked quite well

What I'm really looking for is a way to keep all my apache v host
configs and other unique files synchronized across all the machines.

As well as just managing them over all, rebooting, updating a specific
file or permission, keeping the passwd files updated etc. Having one
shared FS would be ideal, but nfs is not an option.

cfengine and radmind look very promising, should I have the time to
fully read the documentation :)

This thread has been extremely helpful so far, so thanks again.

I ate too much chocolate tonight.
--
enoch