[CentOS] CentOS for commercial use

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Sun Apr 3 21:26:10 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 19:54 +0100, Matt Dainty wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-04-03 at 19:40, Craig White wrote:
> >
> > Just what 'major work' is it that Red Hat actually does?
>
> Take a look in the SRPMS, and the various patches that are applied, the
> kernel for instance.

You mean "major breaking" of the kernel for i810 based chipsets?  In
RHEL 3 u3 they took out support for AGP sets that were not specifically
tested for (the old behavior was to fall back to 440xx support).  This
bit a couple universities and me also because we had some older socket
370 desktops that used the chipset.  The official fix was in u4 and you
could use a "fixed" kernel downloaded from one of their developers, but
if you did that you system was officially "unsupported".

Yes they feed back patches to the community and were the main/only
backer of GNOME in the early days and are a strong supporter of the GPL
in general by making most things they develop themselves GPL/LGPL.

Regards,
Paul Berger