[CentOS] Re: Re: Re: mkbootdisk!

Tue Apr 5 20:23:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, April 5, 2005 12:10 pm, israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu said:

> Collins,
> Most of my servers are connected remotely, I migrated from WhiteBox to
> CentOS
> linux, I had in every (remote) server a bootdisk (floppy), so in case of a
> raid
> crash, some people there booted the server from the bootdisk and then I
> reconstructed the Raid remotely...
>
> I know if I boot from CD rescue mode I can get the same result, but,
> people in
> thouse places are not especialized in linux boxes. That is because  I want
> boot from a floopy, now I also know it's imposible, but, Can I make a CD
> boot?,
> I just want something to boot my remote server, get running all services
> and
> later I reconstruct the RAID...
>
> understand me now?
>
> sorry my poor english!
>
> regards,
>
> israel

I understand what you want ... but a 2.6.9 kernel and the required
initrd.img to allow LVM2 and/or RAID ops is physically too big to fit on a
floppy disc.

you could try to compile ONLY the drivers you absoultely need into a
kernel ... but I think it will still be too large to fit.
--
Johnny Hughes
<http://www.HughesJR.com/>