[CentOS] Problem with export X

Steve Huff shuff at vecna.org
Wed Apr 6 17:01:17 UTC 2005

folks, read ALL of the OP's post before suggesting a solution :)

he already has ForwardX11 set in his config file, so passing -X to ssh
shouldn't make a difference.

Cristofer: the "ForwardX11 yes" in /etc/ssh/ssh_config needs to be set
on the CLIENT machine, not the CentOS 4 server.  if that client machine
isn't running linux or some unix, you'll need to set this up a
different way, and we'll need to know more about how you're
establishing the ssh connection.

i assume "server" is the second machine, the CentOS 4 box that isn't
running X.  is the first machine (the one that does have an X server)
also running linux or some other unix, or is it a Windows machine?

On Apr 5, 2005, at 10:27 PM, Cristofer N. Reyes A. wrote:

> [root at server ~]# echo $DISPLAY

here's the troubleshooting you need to do:

1. start on the first server.  if it's a unix machine, `echo $DISPLAY`
should return ":0.0", or perhaps "localhost:0.0".  if it returns
nothing, there's your first problem - you need to set it to ":0.0"
before you ssh.

2. ssh root at server

3. `echo $DISPLAY` should now return something like "localhost:10.0".
the high number before the "." means that you are successfully
tunnelling X through the ssh connection.

here's what the whole process looks like ("oh" is a MacOS X box with
XFree86, "iberia" is a CentOS 4 machine, the ssh config files are set
up similarly to the way yours are):