[CentOS] Automatic disk check

Matt Hyclak hyclak at math.ohiou.edu
Wed Apr 6 17:32:27 UTC 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 10:11:55AM -0700, centos.org_list at 000a.com enlightened us:
> know how if you do an improper shutdown and then boot up, the server
> prompts you to run a file system check if you press "Y" within 5 seconds?
> Well, this is great but sometimes not practical in remote access situations
> when we call our datacenter to say reboot a hang server and they have no
> monitor or keyboard hooked up to the system.  Is there a way to have the
> system forced to automatically fo the filesystem check every time it boots
> up, if there's a need for it, ie: WITHOUT hitting "Y"?
>
> I couldn't find the answer to this one in docs or FAQs.  If I missed it, a
> simple pointer to the source would be of great help.

From rc.sysinit on my RHEL3 box, it looks like you can create
/etc/sysconfig/autofsck. There is an AUTOFSCK_DEF_CHECK that can be set to
yes to force the check and PROMPT can be set to no to skip the prompt.

All of this only happens when /.autofsck exists on the filesystem.
/etc/init.d/halt removes this file when shut down properly.

Matt

--
Matt Hyclak
Department of Mathematics