[CentOS] Re: grub/raid1 on centos4

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 17:04:34 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-08 at 00:37, Alex Tkachenko wrote:
> > However, Centos4 won't boot at all with a similar install
> > attempt and running grub-install in rescue mode gives an error about not
> > being able to find the bios drives.  Is there a howto somewhere to work
> > around this problem?

> This is an infamous grub-on-sw-raid problem. I run this script after
> installing the OS on the new system (and after grub upgrades ...

Thanks - this is just the first time I'd seen where it didn't at
least install on the first drive automatically.  I had to run grub
by hand from a rescue cd boot to fix it.   Also, most of the
instructions I found about installing on the 2nd drive were for
IDE controllers and a bit different.  Your approach gets it right for
SCSI where a failure on the 1st drive makes the device names shift
up.  At least it works in a simulated failure where the 1st drive
is removed.  Does anyone know if there is a common failure mode where
the 1st SCSI drive is still detected at boot as /dev/sda but doesn't
work?

--
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com