[CentOS] Manual Paritioning with fdisk

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Tue Apr 12 02:14:45 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 22:00 -0400, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 21:18 -0400, Gerald Waugh wrote:
> > Ok, I finally worked my way through the partitioning.
> > I believe it may be because I didn't explicitly select the
> > drive when I created the partitions (both were selected)
> >    A guess!
> >
> > I have md0 as '/' md1 as swap and md2 as /home
> > I then go through the install;
> >  it ask to install on the md0 partition.
> > But I never see where it ask to put the mbr record..
> > Then when it finishes the install and reboot..
> > I get a screen with "GRUB" at the top and nothing else.
> >
> I read while searching for this problem that RHEL3 won't
> boot from a RAID partition, is that true of RHEL4 / CentOS4?

I believe so ... I usually make a 100MB /boot partition on the first
drive and a similar sized /boot2 partition on the second drive and once
things are up & running and use dd to copy the boot loader on the second
drive and copy the files from /boot to /boot2 every time I update the
kernel.

I have not had need to actually see if this will work and let me boot
off a failed primary drive by swapping them yet.

Regards.
Paul Berger