[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Jonathan j at firebright.com
Fri Apr 15 17:44:31 UTC 2005

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 at 1:11am, Franki wrote
>

>>Does anyone know of any SATA controllers that are well tested for this
>>sort of usage?
>>

>IMO, 3ware is far and away the best choice for true hardware SATA RAID.
>The 3w-xxxx driver (for the 8000 series boards) has been in the kernel for
>a *long* time, and 3w-9xxx driver (for the 9000 series) has been in a
>while as well.  There are some better performers out there at the moment
>(Areka, for example), but their drivers are unproven.
>
>FWIW, I currently have 4TB (2 servers) worth of 3ware based storage in
>production, and just took delivery of a new 5.5TB server.

I would also like to put my 2c in here.

I've tried every SATA controller out there, and 3ware is the only one
you should be considering for any serious linux application.  I've had
cards in production for 4 years, and never had a single problem or
failure.

They just work.  What more do you want?

Jonathan