[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Franki franki at htmlfixit.com
Fri Apr 15 19:40:13 UTC 2005

Harald Finnås wrote:

> centos-bounces at centos.org wrote on 15.04.2005 19:11:09:
>
>  > Does anyone know of any SATA controllers that are well tested for this
>  > sort of usage?
>
> Just have to mention it while I remember. If you decide on the 3ware
> 9500s controller, be aware that you HAVE to do some manual tuning. It
> performs like crap out of the box.
>
> Regards,
> Harald

Thanks for all the tips guys, I'm now wandering around 3wares site.
http://www.3ware.com/products/serial_ata8000.asp

What I get is determined by what is available in Western Australia,
though I suppose these are small enough that I can get them shipped
pretty cheap however if one dies I'd like to be able to get it swapped
out quickly so I guess I should stick with one of my local wholesalers.

Looking at this page:
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/index.php?redir=http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=CO-3W9500-8&input[category_id]=

The 3ware 9500 goes for $1023 AUD. once I add some fast drives to that
this thing is starting to look like an expensive upgrade.
I've just checked my wholesaler pricelists and I don't see any 3ware
kit. (bummer) so if I buy one, I'll be getting retail and still having
to ship it 5000km (from Sydney to Perth.)

My main wholesaler sells Adaptec stuff, and I can get this one:
http://www.techbuy.com.au/products/34526/I_OCARDS_HARDDRIVECONTROLLERS/Adaptec/AAR2410SA/AAR2410SA_4-Port_Serial_ATA_RAID_Card_-_RAID_0_1_5_10_JBOD.asp

For $450 it is a 4 port controller and has onboard 64MB ECC cache.

But Alexander on the list here said that adaptec is questionable for
Raid cards.. The last time I had an Adaptec anything was a 2940UW Scsi
controller and that thing gave me years of good service.

Not sure what to chase up now. :-(
Does anyone have any experiance with the above adaptec card?

rgds

Franki