Older 3ware controller, was: [CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Harald Finnås spamcatcher at lantrix.no
Fri Apr 15 20:41:37 UTC 2005

Bryan J. Smith wrote on 15.04.2005 21:45:21:

> The StrongARM and, subsequent, superscalar XScale microcontrollers
> change everything.
> They can push as little as 200MBps in old designs up to 500MBps in
> the new IOP32x/33x series.
> But you'll pay through the nose for the cards, $500+, although they
> do best even the 3Ware 9500S at RAID-5.
> Some have RAID-3/4 options that are more ideal than RAID-5 for
> desktops and NFS servers, respectively.

You seem to know what you're talking about, so I'll run another issue by
you. :)

One of my friends called me the other day regarding problems with centos
installation on 3ware 7810-8 controller. According to him the driver loads
just fine, he can see AND partition the drive from the console, but the
installation program doesn't seem to want to use the array.

He says it works like a charm on mdk 9.2 beta.

Any tips? I haven't looked into the problem yet, and I don't even know
what this old controller is. :)

Regards,
Harald