[CentOS] Re: CentOS4 Loop at shutdown

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 01:43:52 UTC 2005

On 4/8/05, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 2, 2005 8:28 AM, Collins Richey <crichey at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> OK, finally noted the error message:
>
> "vt: argh driver_data is NULL!"
>
> Fortunately, it down't happen every time, and even more fortunately,
> ext3 is good at recovering crashes.

I just upgraded VMware to 5.0.0, and upgraded my CentOS-4 guest
machine to match, including changing the guest OS type setting from
RHEL3 to RHEL4.

I now get this loop quite reliably on every attempt to shut down the
guest OS *IF* I have the virtual CDROM device connected to the host
CDROM but there is no disk in the host CDROM drive.  If I disconnect
the virtual CDROM, then the system shuts down cleanly.