[CentOS] Serial ATA hardware raid.

Bryan J. Smith b.j.smith at ieee.org
Sat Apr 16 03:27:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-04-15 at 20:37 -0400, William Warren wrote:
> I would be interested in the informaiton that WD outsources their
> manufacturing to other drive makers please..:)

It's extremely hard to come by.  It's not very public knowledge -- just
like the fact that DLink, Linksys and many others get most of their
equipment from Bromaxx and maybe 1 other.

But WD shut down their fabs over 5 years ago, largely due to costs.
They largely used IBM at that time, who's fabs are now Hitachi's.  But
WD had bought from several sources.

In fact, there is a consortium of suppliers akin to "PC Chips" in the
hard drive industry.  They are largely fed by Maxtor, although some come
from Hitachi too.

Bryan J. Smith                                  b.j.smith at ieee.org
Community software is all about choice, choice of technology.
Unfortunately, too many Linux advocates port over the so-called
"choice" from the commercial software world, brand name marketing.
The result is false assumptions, failure to focus on the real
technical similarities and loyalty to blind vendor alignments.