[CentOS] CentOS 3.3 is gone

John Newbigin jnewbigin at ict.swin.edu.au
Tue Apr 19 02:14:32 UTC 2005

Lance Davis wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, John Newbigin wrote:
>

>>Now that
>>http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3.3/updates/i386/RPMS/ is gone (be it
>>by design or error)
>

> It hasnt gone - it just contains the same as 3.4 ...
>
> It should be a symlink to 3.4 - and if not then something has gone
> wrong.
>
> (I have just checked the mirrors and it looks like one of them has been
> set up wrong - it is centosl - I will try yo fix it ...)
>

>>I assume that all the patches for a CentOS-3.3 box can be found in
>>http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3.4/updates/i386/RPMS/
>>
>>Can anyone confirm this?
>

> well some of the updates may be in os/ rather than updates/
>

>>In other words, Does the 3.4 updates directory contain updates to 3.3
>>and 3.4?
>>
>>If the answer is Yes:
>>  Good.  Now what about 3.1?  Should those updates be in the 3.4
>>directory as well?
>

> 3.1 is also a symlink to 3.4
>

>>If the answer is No:
>>  What am I meant to do with my CentOS-3.3 media?  I can not install
>>with it anymore because I can't get patches.
>

> of course you can - you install and then update to 3.4
So I need to install from the 3.3 media
And then update to the versions on the 3.4 media
And then install the 3.4 updates?

If I had 3.4 media I could just install off that.  I am looking at a
local mirror setup which does not require me to download new CDs every 3
months.

>>The management of these update directories always causes me confusion
>>though it should be simple.
>

> It is simple :)
I still can't figure it out :(  Every time I look things have changed.

I also have another question which I will ask here.... it is about the
x86_64 updates
http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/

There are i386 updates in there.  Are these required?  They are the same
as the i386 versions.  If so, I end up downloading them multiple times
which is a pain :(

John.

--
John Newbigin