[CentOS] CentOS 3.3 is gone

Tru Huynh tru at centos.org
Tue Apr 19 10:54:54 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 03:21:58AM +0100, Lance Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, John Newbigin wrote:
> > I also have another question which I will ask here.... it is about the
> > x86_64 updates
> > http://mirror.centos.org/centos-3/3.4/updates/x86_64/RPMS/
> >
> > There are i386 updates in there.  Are these required?
>
> That is better answered by one of the x86_64 maintainers.

Yes they are required to keep the x86_64 and ix86 version in sync
when you have _both_ versions of the same libs installed.
...mostly for 32 bits compatility requirements.
If you are running 64 bits only, then you can ignore them.

> > They are the same
> > as the i386 versions.  If so, I end up downloading them multiple times
> > which is a pain :(
> >

> They should be hardlinks to the i386 rpms - which rsync will respect as
> long as you use -H and only download once.

rsync is able to recognise the hard links -> no wasted disk space/bandwith

Cheers,

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (CentOS-3 i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)