[CentOS] NTP on CentOS 3.4

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Tue Apr 19 17:08:22 UTC 2005

Steve Huff wrote:

> the 127.127.1.0 lines are not silly - they enable your master server to
> remain in operation if it loses its connection to its upstream
> timeservers, under the assumption that the machine's own hardware clock
> is moderately reliable.  fix their configuration, but leave them in -
> they're a good thing when configured properly (i.e. not the way Red
> Hat's GUI tools set them up).

That's an important disctinction - that the machine's hardware clock is
moderately reliable. I have usually found them to be unreliable, and as
such wish my master to stop serving time sync's to all the clients when
it loses it's upstream connection. So, in my opinion/scenario/belief,
they should be commented out. :)

-te

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer