[CentOS] Software RAID in CentOS (EL)

Paul subsolar at subsolar.org
Wed Apr 20 01:06:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-04-18 at 14:19 -0500, Chuck Rock wrote:
> Is it just me, or does anyone see something seriously wrong with the
> Software RAID example?
>
> http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/centos/3/docs/html/rhel-sag-en-3/ch-software-raid
> .html
>
> Figure 12-4
>
> Isn't RAID supposed to be redundant disks, not redundant partitions? If that
> hda disk goes bad, the raid and redundancy is nowhere to be found along with
> your data. Right?
>
> Is there a way to make each disk a single software raid partition, then use
> slices of that partition for your drive partitions with LVM or something? I
> basically want to encapsulate the partitions for the operating system with
> RAID so that if a disk drive fails, it can be repaired.
>
> I have never used this function before, so set me straight if I'm just
> missing the point.

Under CentOS 4 all I did was create a 100MB /boot & /boot2 partition as
primary partitions on each drive and then made the rest of each disk a
raid partition, created md0 and then specified that it was part of a LVM
group in disk druid and finally split up the volume group into separate
partitions.

Paul