[CentOS] Accessing shell in CentOS 4 install

Brendon Colby bren at lh.net
Thu Apr 21 15:23:59 UTC 2005

Lamar Owen wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 April 2005 15:30, Brendon Colby wrote:
>
>>I'm having trouble accessing a shell when I boot into the installation
>>of CentOS 4 (text mode). Alt-2 (which is where the shell should be
>>started?) shows nothing (nothing any other console). How do I access the
>>shell within the installation?
>

> ALT-F2.  That is, ALT-Function Key 2.  If you run the GUI install try
> CTRL-ALT-F2.

I see what's happening. I'm trying to boot off the CD-ROM (CentOS 4),
which apparently in these blade centers is a USB CD-ROM. The install
fails to find it properly, before it fully loads, so I get no shell on
VC2. CentOS 3.4 boots fine, however, and installs fine (well, installs
really slow), but after reboot it's REALLY slow (been booting for about
and hour and just got to "checking for new hardware.")

I'm just exploring all my options before having to set up an xCat
system. I'm not sure why this isn't working, because, as far as I can
see it's not that incredible or exotic of a setup!