[CentOS] How to properly install W*nd*ws XP along with CentOS?

Edward Croft croftale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:24:52 UTC 2005

On 4/14/05, Olaf Greve <o.greve at axis.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I find myself in the lucky position to receive a new desktop machine
> tomorrow. :)
>
> Now, for quite a while I've been wanting to make a switch to any Unix
> based system for my normal work environment (= Web development), but I
> will still need to test my work on Windows as well.
>
> Now.... As tomorrow I will install a fresh new machine (with a 40GB HD),
> I'd like to do the following:
> -Install CentOS as primary OS on a 30GB partition.
> -Install W*nd*ws XP as secondary system on a 10GB partition.
> -Plug in my current secondary NTFS drive for storing additional W*nd*ws
> stuff.
>
> What I'm uncertain about, is the proper way to do this, and the order in
> which to install both OSes.
>
> Can anyone give me an answer to the following?
> -Which OS can best be installed first, CentOS or XP?
> -Are there special actions required to enable proper dual booting?
> -Which boot manager can be used best CentOS' one or XP's one?
> -Can CentOS read (and perhaps also write?) from the NTFS partitions?
> -Hypothetically: would installing VMWare and installing XP in that give
> me pretty much 100% XP compatibility for at the very least the various
> web browsers such as IE, and also for XP Office?
>
> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Cheers,
> Olafo

I know I am a little late to the game and you got great advice, but
let me add one other thing that I did. When I installed Windows, I
created a small fat32 partition. Windows sees it as E:, but I can
mount it under Linux. This allows me to place files I need to pass
between the systems on that partition, thus allowing me to format the
Windows partition using NTFS preserving the security.

--
If the sane say the insane are insane,
What if the sane are insane?