[CentOS] different MAC address, ignoring

C. Linus Hicks lhicks at nc.rr.com
Sun Apr 24 04:14:27 UTC 2005

On Sat, 2005-04-23 at 09:18 +0300, Nikos Zaharioudakis wrote:
> I had a similar behaviour when I copied the ifcfg-eth... files from a
> FC1 installation on the same machine after CentOS 4 installation. I
> suspect they changed the sequence of scanning the pci bus.I mean from
> bottom up and vice versa. Fortunately I had console access.

This should only happen if you supply a value for HWADDR in your ifcfg-
eth<n> config file. You either need to make sure it matches the new
hardware, or take it out.

The point of this code is for the case where some system change causes
an existing interface to be detected in a different order than some
earlier case, or someone simply wants to specify what name a specific
piece of hardware gets. If you only have one ethernet adapter, there's
no need to specify its MAC address, unless you want to name it something
other than eth0. And if you have multiple adapters and you are happy
with the names assigned during installation, the names will be
consistent except under a few specific situations.

--
C. Linus Hicks <lhicks at nc dot rr dot com>