[CentOS] A 'simple' problem?

Nigel Kendrick

support-lists at petdoctors.co.uk
Sun Apr 24 21:08:20 UTC 2005

Here's one for you if you have the time:

I very stupidly killed the wrong process on a server on a remote site on
Friday and now I cannot ssh login to it! It's not a major problem as it's
main functions are as a file and print sharer (samba) and to run
postfix/mailscanner, and I can have someone on site reboot the server when
they start work on Monday, but I was wondering whether I could 'get in' by
other means to reboot it - so far I have tried the following without luck:

Simultaneous login requests to 'reach' a listening login as I think I've
only screwed up pts0

A VNC connection to a machine on site and then using telnet (nope, telnet
disabled)

A VNC connection to a machine on site and then a VNC connection to the
server (VNC not running on this one).

Any suggestions to issue a remote reboot - as I said, it's not a major issue
as I can have the server rebooted by someone on site.

Thanks

Nigel Kendrick