[CentOS] CentOS 4 and OpenOffice

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 29 15:06:59 UTC 2005

Robert wrote:

> Has anyone here replaced the openoffice.org packages with those that
> were distributed with FC3?  It's either that for me or simply
> scrapping CentOS in favor of FC3 (or even FC1).  I'm very surprised
> that I can find no reports regarding the impossibility of formatting
> multi-page spreadsheets to print properly.

Answering my own question....
Removing (rpm -e)
openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
openoffice.org-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-18.6.EL4
and installing
openoffice.org-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
openoffice.org-i18n-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
openoffice.org-kde-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
openoffice.org-libs-1.1.2-10.i386.rpm
from the FC3 CDs (specifically CD 1,2 and 4) restored my ability to
print spreadsheets properly.  This was both on a test box, printing
across the network and on the machine I'm using at this moment. The fact
that both machines exhibited the same behavior using the .EL4 version
would seem to rule out some goofy install problem.  The fact that relief
was instant following the installation of the older files would seem to
rule out a "senior moment" on my part -- which was an open question in
my mind for some time.
So, as far as usability, this is a case of "all's well that ends".  Yet,
it would be interesting to know if the OpenOffice.org developers let
such a glaring bug escape, if the bug was a RedHat enhancement, if
perhaps there was some unheralded error in the rebuild process or maybe
a download error here.